Cruise ship battered by 30-foot waves

Instagram image

Instagram image

Detroit Free Press executive editor Robert Huschka was onboard the ship and said that the even the captain of the ship admitted that it was "among his most challenging - if not his most challenging - at sea", per USA Today.

Martinez confirmed that passengers were asked to stay in their rooms and said they were given complimentary access to their minibars. On Monday morning, he posted: "The good news?" "Feeling better after the happy hour they just put on for the guests", Sam Lairson joked.

The Anthem of the Seas has turned around and headed back to its original port after a severe storm injured four people and forced passengers into their staterooms for safety reasons, Royal Caribbean International said Monday.

Royal Caribbean's decision to sail toward the storm could open it to liability from passengers, according to a maritime lawyer who often is involved in litigation involving cruise lines.

The Royal Caribbean cruise ship left Bayonne on Saturday for a seven-day cruise for the Bahamas and advised passengers about the storm. "The thing about this storm was that it was forecast for days", he said on the Senate floor Monday.

Royal Caribbean decided Monday afternoon the ship would return to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in New Jersey. Royal Caribbean said that all guests would be given a full refund of the fare paid for their cruise as well as a voucher for 50% off a future cruise.

US Senator Calls for Investigation of Cruise Ship in Storm
US Senator Calls for Investigation of Cruise Ship in Storm

Currently, the company has not reported any serious injuries caused by the unfortunate voyage, as approximately 4,000 passengers were ordered to stay in their cabins during the turbulence. The ship is turning around and sailing back to its home port in New Jersey.

Of interest is the Master's statement that the winds which rocked the cruise ship were up to 170 mph which is actually higher than the estimates of many terrified passengers who contacted us of around 150 mph.

Shortly after, around 2 or 3 p.m., an announcement was made that we were going through the storm and we should all go back to our cabins.

Passenger Jacob Ibrag described what happened. Their photos from after the storm show the devastation during and afterward: water sloshed from pools, deck chairs airborne, and broken glass everywhere.


Lairson praised the crew and captain. "If not, I think they should invest either in an in-house meteorological staff or someone to consult with the National Weather Service for cruise-specific weather forecasts". "They did everything they could to make us feel comfortable", she wrote to the AP on Facebook.

Novak Djokovic: 'I can equal Federer's Grand Slam titles'