77 dead as truck crashes into Bastille Day celebration in Nice, France

Fast-developing facts are still shaping the discourse, but what we do know at this moment about yet another awful attack in France is that at least 80 people were killed in the French Riviera city of Nice late on Thursday when a truck driver ploughed into a large crowd gathered for a fireworks show on Bastille Day, the French national holiday.

Since the beginning of previous year, terrorists have targeted France in a series of shootings and bombings mostly aimed at social scenes, including a November massacre that killed at least 130 people. At least 18 people remain in critical condition and the death toll grew through the night.

Anger over the killing of dozens of people and being restricted from traveling to France and other parts of the world is a natural reaction, said Nancy Bohl-Penrod, a psychotherapist who directs The Counseling Team International in San Bernardino.

"Two friends from Russian Federation were taking a walk on the Promenade des Anglais".

Another attacker targeted a soccer stadium in a suburb north of Paris, where French President François Hollande was watching France play Germany - but he was safely evacuated.

We do not yet know if the attack in Nice was terrorism or committed by Islamic militants.

Hollande announced that the state of emergency would be extended by three months and army reservists called up to boost security. First imposed after the November attacks, it has been renewed every three months. French President Francois Hollande said the truck attack was of a "terrorist character". The Paris prosecutor's office opened an investigation for "murder, attempted murder in an organised group linked to a terrorist enterprise".

Two WA tourists in Nice have given an eye witness account of the terror which unfolded after a truck ploughed through Bastille Day crowds. The truck was loaded with weapons and grenades.

There is still confusion on what exactly happened on a night when thousands were celebrating.

Just hours before the attack, hundreds, if not thousands, had gathered on the famous Promenade des Anglais, one of the city's main thoroughfares, in a colorful display of fireworks and live music.

Video footage showed men and women - one or two pushing strollers - racing to get away from the scene. The truck was reportedly seen "riddled with bullets".

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said that the country needed to show solidarity and show our calm.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said "we are in a war with terrorists who want to strike us at any price and in a very violent way". Besides continuing the state of emergency and the Sentinel operation with 10,000 soldiers on patrol, he said he was calling up "operational reserves", those who have served in the past and will be brought in to help police, particularly at French borders.

As yet, neither ISIS or any other terror group has so far claimed responsibility for tonight's attack.

"An Garda Síochána will, of course, be liaising closely with their French and other global counterparts about the attack and continue to take whatever measures are necessary to deal with the threat from terrorism".

Allemand, a reporter for Nice Matin, a local newspaper, was on his way to leave when he heard the crack of gunshots cut through the revelry.

The correspondent described the moment that the large white truck plunged into crowds of people who had come to the bustling Mediterranean beachfront to celebrate.

Controlled Kashmir under curfew, phones blocked to pre-empt protest
Tampa Bay Lightning extends contract of goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy