Fort Lauderdale airport shooting suspect pleads not guilty

Santiago, wearing a red prison jumpsuit and full beard, said he understood.

Esteban Santiago, the 26-year-old Alaska resident accused of killing five people at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in early January, was indicted by a federal grand jury Thursday on more than 20 charges.

Santiago, who remains in the Broward County jail, will appear at 11 a.m. before U.S. District Court Magistrate Lurana Snow at the federal courthouse in Fort Lauderdale. Santiago entered a plea of not guilty to those charges during a Monday arraignment.

An indictment released last week charges Santiago, 26, with five counts of causing death at an global airport and six counts of airport violence resulting in serious injury.

Santiago took five lives and injured half a dozen other people in the rampage. The other survivors have not been publicly identified.

During a hearing earlier this month, an Federal Bureau of Investigation agent confirmed that the 9 mm gun used in the rampage is the same weapon Anchorage, Alaska, police seized and later returned to Santiago previous year.

Though, he told told agents he had visited online jihadi chat rooms and thought he was in contact with Islamic State terrorists, investigators have not yet confirmed if that is true.

The agent testified Santiago voluntarily agreed to a psychiatric evaluation, spent a day at a hospital and then was admitted to a psychiatric institute for 5 days.

The agent also testified that Santiago mentioned after the shooting that he was under government mind control. Santiago is now being defended by Chief Assistant Federal Public Defender Hector Dopico and Assistant Federal Public Defender Eric Cohen.

Oil prices extend losses amid rising U.S. output
Starbucks launches voice ordering through mobile app, Alexa