Bomb disposal team arrives at Manchester Trafford college

Armed police on guard prior to the start of the Great City Games at Deansgate in Manchester England Friday

Armed police on guard prior to the start of the Great City Games at Deansgate in Manchester England Friday

A British official says police in Manchester will stop sharing information about their bombing investigation with the USA until they get a guarantee that there will be no more leaks to the news media.

The Libyan anti-terror force that arrested the men said in a statement that the brother, Hashim Abedi, 18, confessed that he and his brother were linked to the Islamic State group and that he was aware of the arena bombing plan. Police said eight men remain in custody following the attack Monday night.

And since Trump took office, he and other Republicans have repeatedly expressed frustration about leaks within the US intelligence community, particularly of damaging information about Trump and his associates. Trump said in a statement that he has directed the Department of Justice to open an investigation - and that "if appropriate", the person responsible will be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".

A spokesperson for the Libyan authorities told BBC that, "His brother felt there was something going on there in Manchester and he thought his brother would do something like bombing or attack".

"These leaks made yesterday a very bad day for national security in several countries, and those responsible should be called to account".

The Downing Street meeting is dealing with intelligence reports about the investigation into Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi.

In Manchester, northwest England, feelings were still raw following Abedi's attack on a concert by United States pop star Ariana Grande - especially so as the bomber was born in the city.

"It's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating", Manchester police chief Ian Hopkins told reporters, with five people now under arrest.

Leaks can also jeopardize investigations and judicial proceedings, said Nigel Inkster, former head of operations for MI6, the British intelligence agency.

The disclosure is regarded as "completely unacceptable" by Britain, because of the distress it may cause families of those killed or injured and because of the risk it could complicate investigations.

The photos published in the Times showed the container that held the Manchester bomb and how it was concealed.

"When that trust is breached it undermines these relationships, and undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their families", he continued.

Earlier on Thursday, British prime minister Theresa May spoke to USA president Donald Trump to say intelligence shared between their two countries had to remain secure.

But just hours later, the New York Times published forensic photographs showing components of the bomber's device strewn across the foyer of the Manchester Arena, enraging British politicians, intelligence agencies and police.

Since then, it's been pushed back in its core territory by the US air campaign and by allied forces on the ground. The claim could not be verified.

Police raided houses in the northern English city and arrested a 23-year-old man after Monday evening's attack, the deadliest in Britain for 12 years.

The bomber's father, Ramadan Abedi insisted Wednesday in an interview with the AP that Salman had no links to militants, saying "we don't believe in killing innocents". Details of their alleged connection to the bombing have not been revealed.

Focus reported that German authorities are now trying to determine whether Abedi had contact with Islamic extremists in Germany before flying to Manchester last week.

"We have evidence that he is involved in Daesh (Islamic State) with his brother".

Another arrest was made later in Wigan of a man carrying a suspect package. "Whether he got that is between him and God". She toured the wards and spoke to medical staff.

Officials said all those hospitalized had been identified.

A Polish couple living in Britain were confirmed among the Manchester victims, along with 15-year-old Olivia Campbell, whose mother had issued heartrending appeals for help when her daughter was still missing. This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely, but that a further attack may be imminent.

About 1,000 soldiers were deployed Wednesday around the country as the terrorist threat level was raised to "critical" in the wake of the bombing. He went on to attend Manchester College and studied business at the city's Salford University, though he didn't attend classes there this academic year and never earned a degree, the institution said.

Brazil military protects buildings during demos
Manchester Arena blast: what we know so far