Delaware trooper fatally shot outside convenience store

It is not known how the man who was barricaded at Brick Mill Farm made his way there, but police quickly converged on the Middletown neighborhood shortly after the fatal shooting.

A man suspected of killing a DE state trooper in a gas station parking lot was killed by police after a 21-hour standoff at his home, officials said. He was an eight-year veteran of the Delaware State Police, police said. According to NBC Philadelphia, police and a SWAT team surrounded the home but the Sealy refused to exit and fired shots at police. Stephen Ballard Wednesday around noon, then fleeing to the home where he engaged in the standoff.

"My heart is with Corporal Ballard's family today and all the officers on his shift and the Delaware State Police who serve beside him", he added. Sealy then fled to his home in Middletown, where he held police at bay for almost 20 hours. Patel, who was in the Dove Run parking lot early Thursday, said he was happy to help officers. The suspect was then shot by law enforcement.

At about 4am Thursday, they say "officers once again came under fire from the suspect".

Police surrounding the home were fired upon several times at around 4 a.m., Fournier said.

Residents in the area have been evacuated. State police say that man is holed up in his house about 15 miles (24 kilometers) south, in Middletown. When Sealy stopped communicating with officers at about 8:22 p.m., the ordnance unit used an explosive breaching charge on the front door. And while agencies have breached a number of windows, officers have not yet entered the home.

Ballard observed what police described as a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of a Wawa convenience store in Bear, Delaware on the Pulaski Highway. The driver of the first vehicle was questioned and released without any charges, police said. Police said in a statement that officers have yet to go inside the home. One person was taken into custody at the scene after the shooting, but another fled on foot.

"I stand before you with an aching heart ... that aches for Ballard, his wife, his daughter, his family", said an emotional Carney Thursday afternoon.

Police warned nearby residents to stay inside and lock their doors, and hostage negotiators established contact, trying to get Sealy to surrender peacefully. Officials spoke at a press conference at Christiana Hospital to deliver the tragic news. Area schools were closed until police were able to secure the area. Ballard, wounded, sought shelter behind a parked vehicle, but Sealy chased after him and fired again, police said, including several shots that he fired "at close range" when the trooper was already on the ground.

More details were not immediately available.

Watch match highlights of Swansea 1-0 Everton
Kate Middleton Releases New Photo Of Princess Charlotte