London fire: 58 missing presumed dead

Cladding used on fatal blaze tower 'banned in the UK'

UK Chancellor: Cladding on Grenfell Tower 'banned on high-rises'

A senior United Kingdom government minister said Sunday that he believed the cladding is banned in Britain for buildings above a certain height.

The death toll from the Grenfell Tower fire has risen to 79, police said.

Cundy explained that one of the reasons identification has been so hard is because dental records are needed from victims who hailed from different countries around the world.

"We must also prepare people for the bad reality that some people may not be identified due to the intensity of the fire", he added.

Five people who died in the blaze have been identified and 74 were missing and presumed dead following the devastating blaze in the council-owned Grenfell tower block in west London.

Late Sunday, the Metropolitan Police released three photos from inside Grenfell Tower, which showed in close detail how the fire charred the building that once housed up to 600 people in 120 apartments.

A minute's silence was held at 11am across the United Kingdom to remember the victims of the horror blaze. He fought back tears as he told reporters about the scene inside the 24-storey tower in north Kensington.

"It's hard to describe my feelings, because I can not imagine, and I would not want to put myself in the position of those families who have lost their loved ones".

When asked whether the number was likely to increase further, he said: 'Today I know there are 79 people who are either confirmed dead and have been identified, or are missing and sadly I have to presume are dead.

He said that authorities were continuing to investigate whether any crimes had been committed in the inferno. The Metropolitan Police has launched "wide ranging" investigation, looking at the construction of the building, the recent refurbishment, how it was managed and maintained, and fire safety measures.

As anger continued in the wake of the disaster, described by London Mayor Sadiq Khan as a "preventable accident", the Government announced on Sunday that those left homeless will be given at least £5,500 from an emergency fund.

London Police Commander Stuart Cundy said his team, along with firefighters, had been working night and day to assess the devastation and attempt to recover bodies.

Prime Minister Theresa May has admitted that the support for families in the immediate aftermath of the fire "was not good enough". I do think there will be some change to that number.

"It's hard to describe my feelings, because I can not imagine, and I would not want to put myself in the position of those families who have lost their loved ones".

Opposition Labour Party lawmaker David Lammy said that the government and the police should immediately seize all documents relating to the building's renovation to prevent the destruction of evidence that could show criminal wrongdoing.

"But we will do it with our utmost professionalism and we will do everything we can as quickly as we can to locate everybody who is in there".

Brooks Koepka caps a record week with US Open title
Death toll in London tower block fire rises to 79