Drinks served in copper mugs could be poisonous

Moscow Mules served in copper mugs could be poisonous

Moscow Mules served in copper mugs could be poisonous

"The use of copper and copper alloys as a food contact surface is limited in Iowa".

The warning comes from Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division, who have declared that copper and copper alloys can be poisonous when consumed. According to Toby Amidor, R.D. and author of The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook, when foods with a lower pH have contact with copper (like you'd find in a Moscow Mule mug), it leaches the copper out of the mug, which is unsafe to ingest. If they do, they risk suffering food poisoning.

It might be a trend or a habitual deed, taking our favorite beverage like alcohol or cocktail from Copper mugs has become most common in many places. If you like cocktails, and enjoy the classic beverage Moscow Mule, you might be upset to hear this news.

Moscow Mules, which contain vodka, lime juice, ginger beer, fall well below that critical pH, according to a bulletin by the under the federal Food and Drug Administration's Model Food Code.

However, lucky for Moscow Mule lovers, they do have a solution to this dilemma.

"The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0". Therefore, consuming it in a copper mug can be really unsafe.

According to the report, symptoms of copper poisoning include vomiting, stomach pains, confusion, drowsiness and fainting fits. Health officials in Iowa say the popular copper cups can give their users food poisoning.

Apparently copper mugs which are lined with a non-copper interior, such as nickel or stainless steel, have been deemed safe to use and are widely available.

US eyes airstrikes vs militants in Marawi
Mega Millions jackpot increases to $350 million for Tuesday drawing