A military statement said the bomb also wounded 25 people, including 15 civilians.
At least 15 people, including eight security personnel, were killed and scores were wounded when a powerful bomb went off near an army truck in Quetta on Saturday. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the terrorists attacked an on-duty military vehicle. He said a state of emergency had been imposed in the city and all hospitals were on alert.
It cited army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa as saying terrorists were trying to disrupt Monday's celebrations of 70 years of independence from Britain. However, sources cited by local news channels, claimed that the attack was a terror operation executed by the insurgent outfits targeting the vehicle of security personnel.
Sarfraz Bugti, the home minister for Baluchistan, said the blast took place near a private hospital but its nature is still being investigated. "Our resolve won't succumb to any challenge", Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor tweeted.
Security forces reached the scene and cordoned off the area.
The province has also seen a number of attacks carried out by the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi's Al Alami faction, a group with ties to ISIL, known for attacking Shia Muslims.
"It would be unfair to call the incident a security lapse", Bugti said.
Interviews with Baluchistan police and an internal police report viewed by Reuters described a Baluchistan-based militant network in the province's remote mountainous area of Wadh with 500-1,000 operatives led by a former military asset.
Past attacks in the province have been claimed by the Pakistani Taliban, ISIL, as well as by Baloch separatist fighters who are fighting for independence from Pakistan.