NBC News chief denies passing on Weinstein bombshell

Monica Schipper  Getty Images for NYFW The Shows

Monica Schipper Getty Images for NYFW The Shows

NBC News said Tuesday that Farrow's story wasn't ready for airing in August when the reporter asked his bosses to release him from further reporting on the piece for the network. And he has threatened to sue the New York Times for its October 5 story detailing lurid harassment claims and eight settlements paid over many years. He was sacked from the production company he helped create over the weekend and has admitted he needs to seek counseling, even as he has threatened to sue the New York Times and media companies allege huge pressure from him and his lawyers to kill the stories.

According to people close to him, Farrow had already taped an interview with one of Weinstein's accusers, although the accuser's identity was masked by shadows.

Here's that 30 Rock clip where Jane Krakowski jokes that she turned down sex with Harvey Weinstein 3 out of 5 times. Though Farrow works for NBC, his expose was published in the New Yorker, prompting questions from many.

So, given that at least two arms of the NBC machine have made a decision to ignore the Weinstein story it's worth asking: Is NBC afraid of the former movie mogul - as Farrow implies - or were they engaged in a pattern of protecting him until the story got to big? "In fact, there were multiple determinations at NBC that it was reportable", Farrow continued. Sources told HuffPost that NBC had concerns related to the story's sourcing and cleared Farrow to take it to The New Yorker.

That article followed a New York Times story published Friday that said Weinstein had been using his position to sexually harass vulnerable women for three decades.

Farrow's New Yorker piece includes harrowing descriptions of Weinstein's behavior from women including Asia Argento, Rosanna Arquette and Mira Sorvino.

Farrow did not immediately respond to a request a comment from The Post. "The story he published is radically different than what he brought to NBC News", Tapper read on the air to Farrow. "I'm not going to comment on any news organization's story that they did or did not run". "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein", she said in a statement.

Last year, NBC came in for criticism for withholding the Trump "Access Hollywood" tape until after The Post broke the story.

Farrow had also arranged for eight interviews on camera with accusers while working on the report for NBC News, according to an industry insider that spoke to The Daily Beast. "[Today] we couldn't be prouder of him". Multiple sources say that Farrow had convinced several victims, a lot of them former employees, to tell their stories.

Firefighters Give Harrowing Testimony in Jessica Chambers Murder Trial
California seeks to ease rules on self-driving cars