Claire's, the Hoffman Estates-based accessories retailer, announced that it has pulled some of its makeup products off the shelves after a woman said the she found asbestos in her daughter's makeup.
Kristi Warner was anxious what made-up her daughter's glitter make-up kit, with the results revealing it contained tremolite asbestos, a substance which can cause malignant mesothelioma. We have also confirmed that the talcum ingredient supply is from a certified asbestos free European vendor.
A mom in Rhode Island made the discovery after she sent her daughter's makeup kit to an independent lab. Warner claims the lab found traces of asbestos in the product, USA Today reports.
In a statement on its website it said: "Safety of our customers is of paramount importance, and we are passionate about the safety and integrity of our products".
A Claire's representative responded to the E.W. Scripps Company's TMJ4 television station after it sought comment regarding reports its children's makeup kits tested positive for asbestos.
It affects the lungs and around five times more men than woman get it, as it is often caused by exposure to asbestos at work. "So she made a decision to send the makeup kit to me". "Then the firm and I had friends and relatives across the country go out and buy that aqua-colored kit and some others and send those to me for testing".
"You just assume that a children's product would be safe", Warner told WJAR.
The Sun Online has asked the retailer to clarify if the sets have been on sale in the United Kingdom and if they have been tested for asbestos but so far it hasn't responded to our calls.
Although mesothelioma diagnoses are most common in people who have been exposed to asbestos in an occupational setting, there have also been a number of mesothelioma cases linked to asbestos-containing consumer products over the years.
Exposure to asbestos is tremendously unsafe. For decades, asbestos was mined and widely used for building construction, fireproofing and textile products because the fibers do not conduct electricity and are naturally resistant to heat and fire.