House of Cards to return for Final Season without Kevin Spacey

Netflix (NFLX) Stock Price, Financials and News | Fortune 500

House of Cards season 6 to go ahead – with Robin Wright as the lead

The streaming service's content chief Ted Sarandos made the announcement on Monday.

Netflix has announced that its hit show "House of Cards" will be returning for its sixth and final season without star Kevin Spacey, THR reports.

Netflix has given the green light for eight episodes of the popular TV series to be filmed in order to "bring closure" for fans.

Taping of the political drama was halted in October amid sexual misconduct allegations against star Kevin Spacey.

Season six, which was scheduled to air in 2018, will count just eight episodes instead of the regular 13 made for previous installments of the hit show, in which Spacey plays a corrupt United States congressman who eventually becomes president.

The Hollywood Reporter revealed that series six was nearly entirely written before Star Trek actor, Anthony Rapp went public on October 29th with allegations that Spacey made unwanted sexual advances towards him in 1986 - when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was just 14.

The final season will have eight episodes and will be refocused on the character of actor Robin Wright. Sarandos also said that he was gratified to have reached the deal for the team of 370 people, who directly work on the show, and the 2,000 people employed in Baltimore, who have jobs working on House of Cards, which shoots in Baltimore.

Spacey, meanwhile, "is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment" his rep said last month. Several past and present crew members of House of Cards told CNN that Spacey created a "toxic" work environment through alleged acts of sexual harassment and assault.

All of Spacey's scenes were also erased from the upcoming film All the Money in the World, in light of the allegations made against the actor.

World's biggest Starbucks to open in Shanghai
Four killed in Wexford crash were on their way to a wake