By 2015, jokes about wanting to consume the pods had become so rampant that even The Onion had to satirize the topic.
This was followed by a video posted by College Humor's titled "Don't Eat The Laundry Pods", in March 2017 where a college student swallowed a bunch of detergent pods and at the end declared that he felt fine. In some cases, the detergent could even migrate to the lungs, causing breathing problems.
P&G replaced the original clear packaging with more opaque and harder-to open child-proof packages.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers says families should talk to their teens about the risks.
"In 2012, AAPCC and the toxicology experts at the nation's fifty-five poison centers highlighted the dangers of Laundry Packets, especially to children five years old and younger", the organization said in a statement.
A spokesman said: 'Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes and they're used safely in millions of households every day.
Even with the changes, laundry pods should be kept away from children. Here is a recent video as an example.
Laundry pods are a $1.3 billion annual business that grew more than 12 percent past year as measured by Nielsen data that excludes online sales and some club stores.
How to use and dispose of them.
The D.C. -based not-for-profit National Capital Poison Center reported that biting into a pod can cause "serious injury or even death".
If a product gets in the eye, rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice as needed.
If a product is swallowed, drink a glass of water or milk and contact the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) or doctor immediately. Know what to do before unintended exposure happens.
Information was provided by USA Today, TIDE, Consumer Reports, the AAPCC, and WISTV.