Chibok girls: FG, Boko Haram talks halted

Agonized Chibok parents still pray for missing girls 3 years later

Chibok girls: FG, Boko Haram talks halted

A total of 219 girls were taken from the Government Girls Secondary School in the remote town in Borno state on the evening of April 14, 2014 and have become an enduring symbol of the Islamist insurgency.

Four years since the Chibok abduction, about 100 of the schoolgirls are unaccounted for. By the grace of Allah, we will not return to you.

"It is better to know if our daughters are dead than being left in suspense".

"The four-year anniversary of the Chibok abduction reminds us that children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale", UNICEF Representative in Nigeria Mohamed Malick Fall said in a statement.

On April 14, 2015 Nigeria's president-elect Muhammadu Buhari warns he "cannot promise" that the girls will be found, as vigils are held to mark their first year in captivity.

Boko Haram has kidnapped more than 1,000 children in Nigeria since 2013, a UNICEF report said Friday, most recently kidnapping 110 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi in Yobe state on February 19.

Yakubu Nkeki, the head of the Chibok girls parents association, told AFP: "We are praying for every Nigerian who is in the custody of Boko Haram".

Boko Haram militants have continued to target children in campaigns of violence that have seen over a thousand children abducted and millions others displaced in Nigeria's northeast, UNICEF said on Friday.

Also, President Buhari has assured the parents of the school girls that their daughters will never be forgotten or abandoned to their fate.

The former military ruler has repeatedly claimed Boko Haram was virtually defeated but while there have been clear army gains, security threats remain.

Boko Haram remains a charged issue politically.

One hundred and seven were returned in mid-March.

In May 2017 another 82 girls are released in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders as part of the same talks. Don't give up hope of seeing our daughters back home again.

Some Dapchi parents were in Chibok on Saturday in a show of solidarity.

Buhari however admitted that they may be some delay in securing their release following setbacks in talks with the terrorists. We will continue to persist, and the parents should please not give up.

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) yesterday said that at least 2,295 teachers had been killed in the North-east since the conflict started in 2009.

Xi Says Hainan FTZ Shows China Reform and Opening Up Commitment
Trump weighs military options in Syria