The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Special Victims Bureau is reviewing a sexual assault allegation against Kevin Spacey.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department says it first opened the investigation last December, and kicked it up to the DA's office for review just a few days ago.
In a brief statement released by the district attorney's office on Wednesday, a spokesperson for the office said they were now reviewing allegations presented by sheriff's investigators on 5 April.
Under California law any sex crime that occurred in 1992 and involved an adult would fall outside of the state's statute of limitations.
A spokesperson for the Los Angeles District Attorney told CNN on Wednesday the office had been given the case earlier this month.
Rapp accused Spacey of making a pass at him when he was 14 years old during a party at Spacey's NY apartment in 1986.
Rapp said Spacey, then 26, invited him to a party at his apartment and drunkenly tried to seduce him.
The former artistic director of the Old Vic theatre in London is among the most prominent of dozens of powerful men whose reputations have been tarnished by allegations raised in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct scandal.
In response to the allegations, Spacey tweeted that he was "beyond horrified to hear [Rapp's] story", adding that he did not remember the encounter. The statue is normally 10 years. He quickly lost roles in the film All the Money in the World and the TV show House of Cards, and future projects were shelved.
A spokeswoman for Spacey, Laura Johnson, declined to comment on the allegations.