Mom shares warning on Facebook after tick bite hospitalizes daughter

Mom shares warning on Facebook after tick bite hospitalizes daughter

Mom shares warning on Facebook after tick bite hospitalizes daughter

As soon as Kailyn Griffin's feet hit the floor Wednesday morning, she collapsed in a heap. Griffin stated that Kailyn was "perfectly fine" the night before but found that she was unable to stand the next day.

"I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk", writes Griffin.

Then Griffin saw the tick. This was brought on through a tick bite. Through numerous blood work and a CT scan, Kailyn's doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis. PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks! Scary is a UNDERSTATEMENT!

Griffin could not be immediately reached for comment.

A MS mother panicked when her 5-year-old daughter woke up unable to walk, and could barely speak.

"We are going to be encountering more and more cases because we are seeing more and more ticks", said Jim Wilson, President of Canada Lyme Disease Foundation. Specifically, the insect's saliva releases a toxin, causing paralysis, inability to speak, and other symptoms.

Symptoms usually begin with numbness or tingling, fatigue or weakness.

As it progresses it becomes harder for the victim to move her face or tongue. If nothing is done, the toxin ultimately makes it impossible for a person to breathe, resulting in respiratory failure. Through their research that ran between January and December 2017, they found that Chicago, Boise, Dayton, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Rapid City, South Dakota, and St. Louis had the most ticks in their cities. Girls often have longer hair than boys, which ticks can attach to and hide in, increasing the risk of tick paralysis, the report said.

The CDC reported a cluster of cases of the extremely rare disease in 2006.

Look who is WALKING out of the hospital!

She posted images to Facebook last week, showing Kailyn in her hospital bed with a splint and an IV connected to her arm.

The La Grande, Oregon, woman posted a video on Facebook, hoping family members or friends could help figure out what was causing the girl's sudden odd ailment.

The post was shared over 450,000 times, with over 118,000 reactions and more than 100 comments. "Kailyn has fully recovered and hasn't slowed down since her feet hit that floor this morning".

Her mom's last picture of the incident showed the girl grasping two balloons in a hospital hallway. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital. "Everything is completely back to normal!" Following Kailyn's recovery, Griffin went on Facebook to share her story.

Cleve Wootson is a general assignment reporter for The Washington Post. In the US, the tick species that causes the most cases of paralysis in humans are the Rocky Mountain wood tick and the American dog tick.

Wonder Woman sequel photos reveal major character returns
South Korean in Wichita reacts to meeting with North Korea