Saudi-led coalition air strikes have killed dozens of people including at least 29 children travelling on a bus in Yemen's northern Saada province, Yemeni medical sources and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have said.
The western-backed coalition fighting the rebel Houthi group in Yemen said the air strikes on Thursday targeted missile launchers used to attack the southern Saudi industrial city of Jizan, which killed a Yemeni civilian there, according to the state news agency SPA. He also accused Houthis of using kids as "tools and covers for their terrorist acts".
"Shrapnel from the intercepted missile scattered over residential areas, leaving a Yemeni resident killed and 11 other civilians wounded", the coalition said.
"Our shops were open and shoppers were walking around as usual".
He said additional supplies were being sent to hospitals to cope with the influx.
Yemenis helps a wounded child after being injured in an alleged Saudi-led airstrike, at a hospital in the northern province of Saada, Yemen, 09 August 2018.
That was the toll at just one hospital.
Yahya Shaem, head of the Houthi-held health office in Saada, told CNN that the children in the bus were on their way to their summer camps.
White plastic body bags filled the floor of a room in the ICRC-supported hospital.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said "civilians continue to pay the highest price after three years of war in Yemen, thousands of them have been killed, injured or maimed".
It was unclear how numerous dead in total were children and how many air strikes were carried out in the area, in northern Yemen, near the border with Saudi Arabia.
A military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates got involved in Yemen's civil war in 2015.
Al-Masirah, the TV station of the armed Houthi movement, said on its Twitter account that 39 people had been killed and 51 wounded.
The school bus that was bombed was reportedly carrying children back to religious education classes after a picnic near the city of Dahyan, according to reports from Save the Children and Al Jazeera.
The airstrike hit a bus that was ferrying civilians, including many school children, the elders said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.
"Today's attack in Saada was a legitimate military operation. and was carried out in accordance with global humanitarian law", the Arabic-language coalition statement said, quoting spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki.
Speaking to the BBC last month, Mr Hadi said that military intervention by the Saudi-led coalition had gone on longer than expected but the alternative, he added, was far worse. "So for us, this is painful.this is just horrific", Hodeib said. "We closely coordinate with them", spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.
US bombs. USA targeting.
Worldwide aid groups were quick to condemn the air strike.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said a hospital it supported in Saada had received dozens of casualties on Thursday after the attack.