The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is testing the surf resort where Stabile ingested the amoeba, and the water park is voluntarily closed until the CDC's investigation is complete, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.
Stabile, who worked for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, died of Naegleria fowleri - a fatal brain infection - in hospital five days later.
Per WFAA, the BSR Surf Resort in Waco chose to close down its wave pool while the CDC tests the water for the microbe, whose scientific name is Naegleria fowleri.
Fabrizio Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco and used the park's wave pool earlier this month. Only four people out of 143 have survived infection in the US from 1962 to 2017, the CDC said.
Naegleria fowleri is a deadly brain-eating amoeba-and not the kind of thing you want to come in contact with. He took a turn for the worst the next day and was rushed to the emergency room, unable to speak coherently. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", said Kelly Craine, a spokesperson for Waco-McLennan County Public Health District.
This typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers. Preliminary testing results should be ready later next week.
"Even so, this drug is not easily accessible".
Stabile, whose family said he was an avid outdoorsman who loved to surf, had been at the park on vacation.
A GoFundMe page has been created by Stabile's family and friends to help bring awareness to the rare but preventable infection. Once it travels through the nose it causes a devastating brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).
Twenty-nine-year-old Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile passed away at the Atlantic City Medical Center on Friday, September 21 after a brief fight with the bug.
In one week, almost $23,000 has been raised to start the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, according to the GoFundMe page.