Chris Dawson, subject of The Teacher's Pet podcast, arrested

NSW Police Outline New Developments Leading To Arrest Of Chris Dawson

Chris Dawson, subject of The Teacher's Pet podcast, arrested

NSW detectives will apply for Dawson's extradition back to NSW at his first court appearance.

Mick Fuller, the New South Wales police commissioner, recently apologised for police failings on the case during the 1980s.

"They were predominately statements from witnesses that helped us tie pieces of the puzzle together", he explained.

"No doubt it will be a voluminous briefs with an enormous amount of evidence and there are a number of witnesses that will be called", he said.

Ms Dawson was 33 when she went missing from their home on Sydney's northern beaches in January 1982 leaving behind two young daughters.

For a deep dive into this truly cooked case, listen to the podcast The Teachers Pet here.

The police have been criticised for not investigating Mrs Dawson's disappearance properly.

Police at the former home of Lynette Dawson in Bayview.

Commissioner Fuller said police have not given up on finding her remains.

"We would like to have found the body of Lynette Dawson, not just for the evidence but for the family, and we certainly will not give up on the search", he said.

Two separate inquests previously recommended to the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) that a "known person", now identified as Chris Dawson, be charged with her murder, but the DPP determined insufficient evidence to lay charges.

Earlier this week, the ODPP provided advice to police, and following further inquiries, detectives applied for an arrest warrant before travelling to Queensland, police said.

He thanked the public and the media for the "partnership" in investigating the case.

"We're certainly hoping an interview with this 70-year-old man who's now in custody in Queensland will assist us with the outcome of where the body may be".

This morning Dawson was arrested at the home of his twin brother on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

While appearing at Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon, he sat quietly looking at the floor, trembling at times with his shirt visibly shaking as he breathed. He's now expected to face a Parramatta court on Thursday.

Police have spoken to Lyn Dawson's family this morning, who are "relieved". "That makes it very weak", he said.

"I was just ecstatic that we've got a result", Mr Simms exclusively told 9NEWS.

The case is the subject of an investigative podcast series The Teacher's Pet which has uncovered new evidence about the disappearance of Lyn Dawson from Sydney's northern beaches in January 1982.

Prior to his wife's disappearance, Chris Dawson and his twin brother Paul had been star players for the Newtown Jets rugby league club. She became the family's babysitter and months later the pair became involved in a sexual relationship.

Magistrate Dennis Kinsella denied Mr Dawson's bail application, saying he was an unacceptable risk of failing to appear.

Despite that, Chris Dawson did not report his wife missing for nearly six weeks.

He continues to maintain he had nothing to do with his wife's disappearance. He has said that she abandoned the family for a religious group.

"We have to also ensure Chris gets due process".

Microsoft is adding live captions and subtitles to PowerPoint
George HW Bush's Service Dog Sully Pictured By Coffin