Carlos Ghosn's chances of getting out of jail anytime soon took a serious blow on Friday after he was indicted for a second time by Japanese prosecutors building their case against the fallen auto executive, who was detained nearly two months ago.
Ghosn, 64, appeared in court Tuesday for the first time since his arrest, looking thinner and grayer.
In addition, it is no longer making payments on his residence in Paris, the person added on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.
Both the Tokyo Prosecutors Office and Nissan declined to comment on the issues when contacted by Reuters.
The board of French automaker Renault on Thursday said an ongoing audit into executive pay had found no sign of fraud in the last two years, as CEO Carlos Ghosn could face fresh charges in Japan.
Apart from prosecutors, only embassy officials and Ghosn's lawyers are allowed to visit him.
With each allegation against Ghosn, prosecutors can seek up to 22 days of detention to investigate the claims - the period for the aggravated breach of trust allegation expired Friday.
He had already been charged for under-reporting his income for the five years up to 2015.
Lawyers for the former jet-setting executive immediately said they would file a bail application, but have acknowledged that he will probably be detained until a trial.
The arrest and detention of Ghosn, once among the most celebrated executives in Japan, has sparked global criticism of Japan's justice system, which effectively allows suspects to be held indefinitely and questioned without a lawyer present.
The auto executive's Japanese lawyers applied for bail soon after the new indictment on Friday.
He spoke in a strong voice and passionately declared a "genuine love and appreciation for Nissan", saying he had acted "honourably, legally and with the knowledge and approval of the appropriate executives inside the company".
But even Ghosn's lead lawyer Motonari Otsuru had earlier said it would be "very difficult" to secure bail. Prosecutors have the right to appeal to a court to extend the detention.
"I look forward to continuing to assist Nissan in its investigations", Munoz said in the post.
Japan's prosecutors have faced criticism for a lack of clarity and communication on how they are handling the case, with Ghosn held in detention without charge for longer than would be permitted in the United Kingdom for a suspected terrorist.
His wife Carole Ghosn said she had received no information about his health and "pleaded" with Japanese authorities for news. "We are fearful and very anxious his recovery will be complicated while he continues to endure such harsh conditions and unfair treatment", it said.
In a statement, Nissan said that Munoz had "elected to resign" from the company, effective immediately.
Japanese media, citing Ghosn's lawyers, said Thursday that he was suffering from a high fever and unable to meet investigators for questioning.