Mass. upholds Michelle Carter's involuntary manslaughter conviction

Mass. upholds Michelle Carter's involuntary manslaughter conviction

Mass. upholds Michelle Carter's involuntary manslaughter conviction

The Supreme Judicial Court decided unanimously on Wednesday that Michelle Carter's actions caused Conrad Roy III to die in a truck filled with toxic gas in a deserted parking lot almost five years ago.

'Then after she convinced him to get back into the carbon monoxide filled truck, she did absolutely nothing to help him: she did not call for help or tell him to get out of the truck as she listened to him choke and die, ' Justice Scott Kafker wrote in the Supreme Judicial Court's ruling.

They said evidence in the Carter case suggested "a systematic campaign of coercion" in which she "targeted the equivocating young victim's insecurities and acted to subvert his willpower in favor of her own".

United States courts heard that she bombarded boyfriend Conrad Roy III with text messages urging him to take his own life, and ordered him to get back into a truck full of toxic gas.

Her lawyer said during the hearing in October that there was no evidence it would have made a difference if she had called for help, arguing she didn't even know where his truck was parked.

She was convicted of manslaughter and jailed for two-and-a-half years in 2017 - and ordered to serve at least 15 months of it.

The high court cited Carter's texts to friends in which she said Roy's death was her fault because she "told him to get back in" the truck after he "got scared" and left the vehicle as he inhaled carbon monoxide. "The time is right and you're ready - just do it babe", she wrote.

Carter opted against a jury trial, leaving her fate in the hands of Judge Lawrence Moniz, who found her guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Carter had also been treated for anorexia, while Roy had made earlier suicide attempts. He killed himself by carbon monoxide inside a auto.

A psychiatrist who testified for the defense during Carter's trial said that Roy wasn't the only one in their relationship who was troubled.

Instead of urging him to stop the act, Carter texted the victim to get inside the auto and complete the suicide process!

Carter also faces a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by Roy's mother in Norfolk Superior Court.

But despite the numerous procedural hurdles still ahead, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III said his office was "very pleased" Wednesday with the high court's ruling. The implications of this conviction go far beyond the tragic circumstances of Mr. Roy's death.

In upholding the conviction Wednesday, the court decided that Carter's claim that her conduct was protected by the First Amendment, among other defenses, "lack merit". He said Roy was committed to ending his life and was responsible for his own death.

Apple is compensating the teenager who uncovered FaceTime Group Chat security flaw
Alia Bhatt responds to Kangana Ranaut's allegations about ignoring 'Manikarnika'