Facebook has removed 1.5 million copies of New Zealand attack video

Facebook has removed 1.5 million copies of New Zealand attack video

Facebook has removed 1.5 million copies of New Zealand attack video

Facebook has revealed that it removed almost 1.5 million videos of the Christchurch mosque shootings in which 50 people were killed and another 50 people injured, after a gunman opened fire on worshippers on Friday, March 15 at two mosques in New Zealand.

The social media giant said in a post the video was watched fewer than 200 times during the live broadcast, and that it was watched around 4,000 times in total before being removed.

Facebook said it has "shared more than 800 visually-distinct videos related to the attack" with the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT), which it said "coordinates regularly on terrorism" issues.

Facebook said other variations of the video, like screen recordings, were harder to detect, and so it employed audio technology to weed them out.

The report said that the video, which showed a first-person view of the killings in Christchurch, New Zealand, was readily accessible during and after the attack. Before it was alerted to the video, a user had posted a link to a copy of the video on a file-sharing site.

"This is an issue that I will look to be discussing directly with Facebook", she added.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison acknowledged that while social media companies have indicated willingness to take action, "clearly the capability to deliver on that willingness hasn't been present".

Facebook's tweet reveals, "In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload..."

According to Facebook's own figures, at least 300,000 videos were not blocked before being uploaded and there is no official data on how many times these were viewed or shared.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she meant to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to live stream the massacre.

YouTube dealt with an "unprecedented volume" of videos after last week's mass shooting in New Zealand, as the platform struggled to remove videos with the footage, YouTube's chief product officer told The Washington Post.

Spark did not bar access to Facebook as many customers were depending on it to contact friends and family after the massacre, Pirie said.

The Association of New Zealand Advertisers and the Commercial Communications Council asked all advertisers on Monday to consider where they place their ads and challenged Facebook and other platform owners to take steps to moderate hate content.

In a statement, Mia Garlick, spokeswoman for Facebook New Zealand, said that the company continues to "work around the clock to remove violating content from our site, using a combination of technology and people". Having said that, if you [Facebook] can't stop it, don't offer it.

Some firms have already stopped advertising and the Association of New Zealand Advertisers predicts dozens of others are likely to follow suit.

Black Shark 2 official renders reveal a notchless design
Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara Steps Down Following Misconduct Allegations