Foxx's office released a series of text messages between her and First Assistant Joseph Magats which took place on March 8, just before the 16-count indictment against Smollett was announced.
"After the indictment became public, I reached out to Joe to discuss reviewing office policies to assure consistencies in our charging and our use of appropriate charging authority", Foxx said in a statement obtained by USA Today.
"Pedophile with victims 10 counts".
"Yeah...it's not who we want to be", Foxx responded.
That decision created a firestorm of protest from local officials.
Prosecutors, last month, argued that Foxx never formally recused herself amid questions over her office's decision to drop the charges against Smollett.
The office, though, denied outright requests for its internal files, saying it did so because the judge presiding over the case had agreed to seal the public court file moments after prosecutors dropped all the charges. Assistant State's Attorney Risa Lanier, the lead prosecutor on the high-profile case, texted Magats hours after the charges were dropped.
Foxx's office issued a statement recusing her on February 19, though they later claimed she "did not formally recuse herself".
While the prosecutors have the power to drop charges for any reason, Smollett's deal did not, in fact, conform to state laws on deferred prosecution, and Smollett appeared to have spent two days volunteering with Rainbow PUSH.
"It appears as if Jussie's press person may have notified the press", Lanier texted three spokespeople on the morning the case was dismissed.
In a written statement released Tuesday night, Foxx said she only wanted to ensure that the office's charging practices were consistent across different cases. Foxx's office has since said that when an interoffice email to senior staff stated that Foxx was "recused" in the case, the term was used in a colloquial, not a legal definition.
Numerous text messages and emails released detail how the State's Attorneys office responded to the furor after the charges were dropped and defended their decision by releasing data on other cases.
Foxx and Magats continued to communicate via text message about aspects of the investigation. In exchange, Smollett forfeited a $10,000 bond and agreed to community service.
Smollett has insisted that he told the truth about the attack. Police initially treated the incident as a hate crime, but their focus turned to Smollett after two brothers who were alleged to have been his attackers told detectives that Smollett had paid them $3,500 to stage the attack, with a promise of an additional $500 later.
Johnson, though, was furious over the decision and publicly blasted it - along with Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
The move to drop charges has provoked fierce criticism.
It all comes after Smollett's alleged hate crime hoax and in light of him being sued by the city of Chicago after he failed to pay $130,106 for what he cost the city investigating the alleged hoax.
Inspector General Patrick Blanchard will be conducting an investigation of how Foxx's office handled the case.