NYC power outage knocks out subways, businesses and elevators

Rockefeller center power outage

Enlarge Image Annie Wermiel NY Post

Between Midtown and the Upper West Side - including much of New York City's bustling theatre district - dozens of shows and plays were forced to cancel and evacuate their buildings.

NEW YORK-Widespread power outages were reported in parts of New York City's Manhattan borough on Saturday evening, with subway stations affected and street lights out on part of the Upper West Side, according to social media reports.

While it appears that the blackout has caused confusion and inconvenience, no injuries have been reported.

'Members are responding to reports of numerous stuck elevators that are occupied, but there are now no patients reported, ' the department said on Twitter.

But once they got to West 72nd Street, they found another diner that was open and had power.

The power outage comes on the 42nd anniversary of the 1977 Blackout which plunged most of New York City into two days of darkness.

However, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, tweeted to say that a manhole fire is responsible for the outage. At first she thought something happened at Trump International Hotel and Tower, she said.

The subway services are working closely with utility provider Consolidated Edison (or Con Edison) to determine the root cause of the power failure.

'From what we're seeing at this moment, this is simply a mechanical problem and one, again, that sounds like it is addressable in a reasonable period of time, ' de Blasio said.

"40K without power is Armageddon", he wrote on Twitter.

Ginger Tidwell, a dance teacher and Upper West Side resident, was about to order at the West Side diner on Broadway and West 69th Street just before 7 p.m.

New Yorkers took Saturday's outage in stride, with passersby standing in intersections to direct traffic and a disrupted Carnegie Hall concert continuing in the street.

Performers of shows such as "Hadestown" and "Hamilton" took their shows outside and began performing in the streets of NY in an attempt to appease the disappointed masses.

Emerging from a subway station next to Central Park, Jeff O'Malley, a consultant who lives in Manhattan, said he was stuck in a subway auto for more than an hour.

"We were stuck for about 75 minutes", Jeff O'Malley, 57, told Reuters news agency. It advised people to stay away from underground stations.

David Ortiz recovering after 3rd surgery stemming from gunshot wound
Police kill man allegedly attacking immigration prison