Sudan military council says it foils attempted military coup

Sudanese protesters march during a demonstration to commemorate the 40 days anniversary of the sit-in massacre in Khartoum North Sudan

Sudan military council says it foils attempted military coup

Sudanese protesters lit candles and released balloons in Khartoum as thousands rallied across the country to mourn dozens killed last month in a brutal raid on a protest camp, AFP correspondents reported.

Saturday's rallies - dubbed "Justice First" - came as the protest movement urged supporters to take to the streets.

Police and security forces have attempted to disperse demonstrators using tear gas and firing live ammunition in the air to disperse the protesters.

Sudan's ruling transitional military has foiled a "coup attempt" aimed at "blocking the deal" with opposition representatives. On Sunday, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, Sudan's top general, said the military council that assumed power after al-Bashir's overthrow would be dissolved with the implementation of the power-sharing deal.

The AU's Mohammed el-Hassan Labat made the announcement Friday.

Security forces used barbed wire to block a main road leading to the Defence Ministry compound, the site of the protest camp crushed by security forces in June, a Reuters witness said.

Hundreds rallied in Omdurman, the twin city of Khartoum.

Chanting "Blood for blood, we won't accept compensations", crowds of protesters marched in Khartoum's northern district of Bahari, a protest hotbed since demonstrations first erupted in December against the then regime of now ousted president Omar al-Bashir.

The agreement stipulates that the new governing body will be presided over by a military nominee for the first 21 months, and the last 18 months by a civilian. An 11th seat is to go to a civilian chosen by both sides.

The deal includes a joint Sovereign Council, set to rule for a little over three years while elections are organised, along with a constitutional declaration, according to a copy of the deal obtained by The Associated Press.

Late on Saturday, the Sudanese Communist party, which is part of the protest movement, said it rejected the power-sharing agreement because it does not include an worldwide investigation into the crackdown and it keeps paramilitary forces in existence.

Thousands of Sudanese protesters have poured onto the streets of Khartoum and other cities to mark the 40th day since the deadly dispersal of a sit-in outside the army headquarters that killed more than 100 people.

They also agreed to delay the establishment of a legislative council until the sovereignty council and the civilian government are established.

Ibrahim said that the armed forces, rapid support forces, security, intelligence, and police will remain keen on the security and stability of the country and secure the gains and achieve the highest national goals and access to power through the ballot box, according to the Sudanese News Agency.

Interrupted by an Amber Alert? Don't call 911 say cops
Car Thief Beaten to Death by Angry Mob in Philadelphia