One officer killed, two others injured in shootout in Southern California

Authorities say they don't know why a man whose truck was being impounded suddenly grabbed a rifle and opened fire, killing a California Highway Patrol officer and wounding two others before he was killed. "Three of our officers were involved and a suspect". Two other CHP officers were wounded, one critically. The incident, which was reported just before 6 p.m took place near the area of Box Springs Boulevard and Eastridge Avenue.

The slain officer has been identified as 34-year-old Andre Moye by California Gov. Gavin Newsom. The officer returned fire, authorities said. The suspect grabbed a rifle from the truck and shot the officer.

Parker said two civilians received superficial injuries and "they're going to be OK".

"An officer-involved shooting occurred earlier today", the department said on Twitter. Dozens of rounds were fired, local media said, and motorists stopped in traffic fled their vehicles and ran for cover, media reports said.

Video after the shooting showed bullet holes in the front windows of two patrol cars and large holes blown in their back windows.

Several motorists were struck by glass shards when bullets hit their vehicle windows, officials said, and were treated by paramedics at the scene. The suspect's name hasn't been released.

Moye had served CHP's Riverside station for about three years after graduating from academy in March 2017, department officials said Tuesday.

The Highway Patrol officer and the suspect were rushed to nearby hospitals and declared dead after the shootout, police said.

Moye was killed about 5:30 p.m. Monday, after he pulled over the shooter in a white GMC pickup for an unknown reason off the 215 freeway and chose to impound his truck.

Flags at the capitol will be flown at half-staff in his honor, the governor's office said.

That will be part of a "very long" and "complex" investigation, Railsback said.

‘The Lion King’ Is the Highest Grossing Animated Film Ever
Knifeman who terrorised Sydney CBD restrained by public