North Korea Fires Projectiles After Offering Talks With U.S.

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un speaks as he stands with US President Donald Trump south of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea in the Joint Security Area of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone

US says N.Korea blocking resumption of nuclear talks

A senior Trump administration official said: "We are aware of reports of projectiles launched from North Korea".

Instead, North Korea carried out a series of nine weapons tests that included short-range missiles that coincided with U.S.

Tuesday's firings were the 10th such launches so far this year, during which the North tested new types of missiles or multiple rocket launchers in protest of joint military exercises between the USA and the South, among others.

"Given that the projectiles were fired from a western region, North Korea appears to have test-fired weapons it already tested previously", Kim Dong-yup, a professor at Kyungnam University's Far East Institute, said.

Hours ahead of Tuesday's launch, the North's first vice foreign minister, Choe Son Hui, said that North Korea is willing to resume nuclear diplomacy with the United States in late September, but that Washington must come to the negotiating table with acceptable new proposals.

While analysts said North Korea conducts missile tests for a range of purposes, including technical development and reassurance for the defence establishment, Tuesday's launches appeared to have been timed to send a message to Washington. But he also warned that, if the U.S. doesn't change its approach to North Korea, the "DPRK-U.S. dealings may come to an end".

Trump was asked about the offer while speaking to reporters at the White House and said talks were always a good thing.

Lee Do-hoon, South Korea's special representative for Korean Peninsula peace and security affairs, talked over phone with Stephen Biegun, U.S. special representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) affairs.

South Korea's presidential office said national security adviser Chung Eui-yong presided over an emergency National Security Council meeting where officials expressed "strong concern" over the continuing short-range launches by the North.

Choe's statement follows a flurry of North Korean short-range ballistic missile testing that began in July and ran through the month of August. Trump has said he agrees with North Korea that the exercises are bad, but made no apparent effort to stop them.

As for its version of Iskander, the North tested it at least five times so far this year, including the launches from its northwestern area of Kusong towards the East Sea.

North Korea has been mad at U.S. military exercises along their southern border recently, and the suggestion was no talks would happen while those exercises are ongoing.

United States officials have called these short-range missile launches provocations, although Trump himself has avoided criticising them.

"They want working level negotiations because they want a compromise, they understand that Donald Trump is a person who can sign an agreement which will implicitly accept that they are a nuclear state for the time being", the expert said.

The leaders agreed to resume working-level talks during their impromptu meeting on June 30 on the Korean border, but no date has been set.

Related illnesses reported in South Dakota
Juul warned over claims e-cigarette safer than smoking