Former head of the Nissan-Renault alliance Carlos Ghosn's daring escape from Japan could have put another nail in the coffin of the already troubled partnership, as Nissan is reportedly beefing up plans to quit.
The plans include war-gaming a total split in engineering and manufacturing, as well as changes to Nissan's board, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Sunday citing several sources.
Ghosn, who was awaiting trial on financial misconduct charges before his escape to Lebanon, was thought to have hidden inside a large case generally used to carry concert equipment when he fled Japan on a private jet from Kansai International Airport on Dec 29.
As for the shared platforms and engines under the alliance, the CMF-A platform developed under the alliance has underpinned a number of the brands' models, including the Renault Kwid, Triber and upcoming HBC SUV and the Datsun Redigo from Nissan's budget brand. It would come at the worst time as new alliances, such as Fiat Chrysler (with whom Renault unsuccessfully attempted to merge last year) and PSA and Volkswagen and Ford, form lucrative relationships.
However, the French auto major is apparently making efforts to save the partnership.
Nissan said on Tuesday it was "in no way" considering dissolving its alliance with Renault and Mitsubishi Motors and that the alliance was the source of Nissan's competitiveness. He recommended that French Renault bail out the Japanese carmaker, and in 1999, it bought 36.8 percent of Nissan. Ghosn has repeatedly denied the allegations, calling his detention "outrageous and arbitrary". He said he is claiming all rights regarding his retirement.