First coronavirus death in Europe confirmed

A medical worker is seen at the intensive care unit of Jinyintan hospital in Wuhan the epicentre of the novel coronavirus outbreak in Hubei province China

First coronavirus death in Europe confirmed

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said an elderly Chinese tourist treated in a hospital in France became the first death to the virus in Europe, Reuters reported on Saturday.

The 80-year-old patient, a Chinese national, had been in intensive care in France.

The victim, who was quarantined in hospital on January 25, leaves behind a daughter who is battling the infection but making a good recovery. The vast majority of those suffering from the virus are in China.

It is the first death confirmed outside of Asia, French Health Minister said.

A further 2,641 people have been newly confirmed as infected, bringing the China's total to 66,492.

In the United Kingdom, health officials have contacted more than 200 people who attended a conference in central London after it emerged one delegate is suffering from coronavirus.

Until the death in France, there had been three deaths outside China, with one in Japan, one in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines.

Meanwhile, a Channel 4 employee is among those being tested for coronavirus after feeling unwell following a trip to Asia.

"Stupendous turtle" fossil discovered in Colombia
Smriti Mandhana rises to 4th in ICC women’s T20 international rankings