IPL cancellation on cards after three-week lockdown and Olympic postponement

IPL Possible Even If It Starts 1st Week Of May Says BCCI Official Report

The IPL was originally scheduled to begin on March 31

The cancellation of this year's IPL looks inevitable with the BCCI under tremendous pressure after the declaration of a 21-day nationwide lockdown to contain the the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.

When the BCCI postponed the IPL to April 15 earlier this month, it said conducting the tournament would only come into the picture if the pandemic subsides.

On March 14, the BCCI top brass had a meeting with all the franchises and it was decided that the board will monitor the situation every week and then decide on the future course of action. Once everything is clear only then can we make a call about what is the further course of action. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed.

"Never thought would see my city like this. stay safe. this will change soon for the better ...love and affection to all...", Ganguly posted on his Twitter page alongside images of deserted roads. The global COVID-19 death toll is nearing 19,000. "So, I don't have an answer to it. Status quo remains", Ganguly told PTI in an exclusive interaction.

Kings XI Punjab owner Ness Wadia was more forthright. As a premier event, we need to act with great responsibility. "Given the situation, nobody is in a position to say anything".

"BCCI and IPL franchise to have a conference call on coming Tuesday to discuss the process and further way of IPL 2020". The 13th edition of the IPL was scheduled to commence on March 29, however, the spread of coronavirus forced the postponement of the league until April 15. However, there is still hope that BCCI will go ahead with the tournament if it is given the green light in the coming weeks. It is becoming increasingly hard to organise. Currently, we are not thinking about all those things.

"With 21 day lockdown, it is virtually impossible that things will return to normalcy by April 14". BCCI was open to calling other boards to discuss the possibility of a reworked itinerary but with countries closing borders and imposing stringent travel restrictions, such a move, too, could prove to be futile. The BCCI chief, however, said that he has not spoken to anyone yet.

Ruby Princess 'disaster' has led to more coronavirus 'blame games'
Fabregas felt "lonely" and "drained mentally" before leaving Arsenal