Detroit chief, mayor defend police ramming of demonstrators

DPD Chief James Craig and screengrab from Twitter video

Detroit police filmed driving SUV through crowd of protesters in blood-chilling VIDEO

Since then, Detroit Police Chief James Craig addressed the situation, and actually defended the officers who are responsible for the incident, saying he feels they "did the right thing". "They accelerated to get out of there in the event they were being fired upon".

"The officers did the right thing", he said.

Officers appeared to engage their lights and sirens before they started moving. "I think police haven't seen that in a while, so they don't know how to control that".

He said the department is investigating the actions of the demonstrators and the four officers involved. "As I was leaving, I saw those same guys hitting the police vehicle for no reason", the unnamed woman said in the message.

Detroit police say they're looking into the incident.

"If you're sitting in that police vehicle and suddenly you're blocked", Duggan said Monday, "what is your response to this crowd banging on the auto and climbing on the vehicle and trying to get at you?"

Jae Bass at a
Jae Bass at a"tribunal held by Detroit activists on June 20 to recount police violence during protests. Credit Jodi Westrick Michigan Radio

"There is this loud crash or bang to the rear of the police auto".

According to the Detroit Free Press, 24-year-old Jae Bass was one of the men thrown from the hood of the SUV and explained what had happened prior to the violent use of a 5,000-pound vehicle.

"So we chose to go directly through the roadblock". Police could not provide details on possible injuries Monday; a spokesperson for Mayor Mike Duggan said no EMS units were sent to the scene. "So myself and the other organizer of the group, we made a decision to stand our ground right in front of the police officer". "At that point he floored it, and he went super fast and jerked it back and forth to fling us off the auto, at which he was successful".

"Following this, we had our medic team - volunteers from hospitals throughout the state that come out - they took in all the injured people, examined them, got them patched up and from that point, everyone who wasn't injured was able to march for another hour, hour and a half back to the park", he said.

A protester says he jumped on a police vehicle to avoid being run over. He ran over her phone.

Marchers traveled more than six miles, starting at the police department's 4th Precinct, 4700 W. Fort southwest Detroit. I think I was the last person on the vehicle. "Me and a couple of my other organizers that were with me, just went flinging off. I could feel him speeding up and then... he flinged (sic) me off the vehicle".

Nets Guard Spencer Dinwiddie Tests Positive For Coronavirus
'It makes us excited' - Xavi admits preparing to coach Barcelona