Djokovic learned 'big lesson' from US Open default

Novak Djokovic says doing best to control on-court emotions after US Open default

Djokovic eager to put US Open controversy behind him in Rome

"I can not promise or can not guarantee that I will never ever do anything similar to that in my life", Djokovic said in Rome ahead of the Italian Open.

"Of course it could have happened earlier in my career, it could have happened to many players".

His first rival will be Carreño, who comes from being a semifinalist at the US Open in addition to being a luxury spectator of the disqualification of Novak Djokovic for hitting a linesman.

The 33-year-old heads into next week's Grand Slam as second favourite behind Rafael Nadal, and Djokovic is pleased to have tournaments so soon after his NY disappointment. For a couple of days I was in shock and I was shaken by the whole thing. I checked on the lines person and the tournament told me that thank God she is feeling ok. She said that she was fine. "When you hit a ball like that you have a chance to hit somebody that is on the court".

"I felt really sorry to cause the shock and drama to her, because she didn't deserve that in any way", Djokovic said, the AP reported. The rules are clear, I accepted that. I know I have a tough first [match] against Pablo.

This incident is certainly a blow to the Serb's status in tennis, made worse by the fact that Djokovic was seen shortly after his disqualification leaving the tournament grounds without taking part in the mandatory press conference.

"Of course, I'm not ideal".

The 17-time Grand Slam victor however could not rule out it would not happen again.

"The consequences of certain actions are always the same because there is a regulation".

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

"But you're alone out there".

"It's a lot of intensity and a lot of pressure".

"I can not promise or guarantee I will never ever do anything similar to that in my life". I'm going to try my best, obviously, but anything is possible in life.

The disqualification, however, gave Djokovic more time to regroup before his claycourt opener at this week's Italian Open - a tune-up for the French Open starting september 27.

And the world number two opted out of the USA hard court tour because of coronavirus concerns and citing the "madness" of the new calendar.

Nadal who beat Thiem in the last two French Open finals said the Austrian deserved to win the title.

Eric Hechtman, coach of Venus Williams shared images of Rafa Nadal and Stan Wawrinka's training on his Instagram stories on the clay of Rome, which was also witnessed by some of the journalists accredited in the tournament.

"I mean, surely that gives him more advantage, but even if he didn't practice for that long on clay, he would still be the number one favourite in Roland Garros or any other clay tournament. he's the ultimate challenge".

Apple One bundle includes Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade and more
UK's Johnson attacks EU after winning vote to breach Brexit agreement