Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Sunday vowed to take "whatever measures necessary" to prevent Iran from purchasing weapons after a United Nations arms embargo against the country ended despite an American effort to extend it.
"Today is a momentous day for the worldwide community, which in defiance of the USA regime's efforts, has protected UN Security Council Resolution 2231 and the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)", it added, referring to the landmark nuclear deal Tehran signed with world powers.
"The United States is prepared to use its domestic authorities to sanction any individual or entity that materially contributes to the supply, sale, or transfer of conventional arms to or from Iran.Every nation that seeks peace and stability in the Middle East and supports the fight against terrorism should refrain from any arms transactions with Iran", Pompeo's statement reads. "We'll do the same thing with respect to the broader U.N. Security Council sanctions as well", he said.
"With the expiration of the arms embargo on Iran today, we must be stronger and more determined than ever".
However, Donald Trump's presidency in the United States has led to an escalation of tensions between Washington and Tehran.
The US upped the ante against Iran since withdrawing from the 2015 nuclear agreement in 2018, by reinstalling sanctions.
"Today's normalisation of Iran's defence cooperation with the world is a win for the cause of multilateralism and peace and security in our region", Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif wrote on Twitter.
In August, the Trump administration triggered a process aimed at restoring all U.N. sanctions, after the U.N. Security Council rejected a US bid to extend the conventional arms embargo on the country.
The overwhelming majority of UNSC members rejected the bid, saying it has no legal basis.
Last week, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said during a news conference in Tehran the arms embargo will end on October 18 despite US efforts to block it.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani warned it will have a "decisive response" if the USA tries to "bully" other nations into adhering to its reinstatement of sanctions. In 2015, Tehran entered into a deal with Russia, China, Germany, Britain, France and the United States that saw Iran promise to halt its nuclear weapons program for relief from crushing economic sanctions.
"We recall that the European Union embargoes on conventional arms exports and missile technology will remain in force until 2023", they said.