Up to 17 Kiwis detained in Melbourne — Travel bubble bursts

TRAVEL BUBBLE: First flights from NZ to land in Australia today

Australian borders open to travellers from New Zealand - Xinhua | English.news.cn

"I have written to the prime minister this morning and we're disappointed this has happened".

Australian Health Minister Brad Hazzard said all passengers arriving from New Zealand would be kept separate from other arrivals in the airport.

Three global flights from arrived in Sydney yesterday, and for the first time in seven months, incoming travellers from New Zealand are not required to quarantine, provided they are free of symptoms and meet other health requirements.

"Our officers have absolutely no power to stop someone, to detain someone in those circumstances, particularly given they were coming from a very low virus part of the world", he said today.

"There are half a million Kiwis living in Australia, and we know people reuniting is an important motivator for travel", he told News Corp Australia on Friday.

Mr Andrews said yesterday that the state was "well-placed to take significant steps" to ease restrictions, but added that the next move out of lockdown would still be relatively conservative, highlighting the need to keep social distancing measures in place to avoid another outbreak.

However, the incumbent Immigration Minister Alan Tudge announced shortly thereafter that the passenger cards had been handed over to Victoria.

"We do not suggest or infer that they did anything wrong", he said.

"There has been something has gone wrong in this system, we are not supposed to be part of this arrangement". "I am not sure that any of them would necessarily need to be tested".

With the exception of those living in the south-eastern state of Victoria, most people in Australia are subject to only modest pandemic restrictions, with limits on gatherings the main disruption.

When asked if Victoria should consider closing its internal borders, Andrews said he did not want to.

"I got into Sydney, three people stopped me and I did a health check".

Victoria has not accepted any global arrivals since early July.

Initial reports that the travellers were detained are incorrect, as Victoria's Department of Health and Human Services does not have the authority to do that.

Deputy Police Commissioner Rick Nugent said the passengers were in Melbourne and had no arrest warrants.

The flight was part of the New Zealand safe travel arrangement covering New South Wales (NSW) and the Northern Territory. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information.

Wide ball controversy: Virat Kohli backs MS Dhoni, and offers this reason
Chelsea reacts to ‘clash’ between Lampard, Kante